You can buy Nitros from the dealership in increments of 10 nitros and $20,000, and they can be sold for $500 each in the garage. You can also earn them for free by winning races. You'll win 2 nitros if you get 1st place and 1 nitro if you get 2nd place.
As of the Nitro Type 2.0 Update, nitros can only be bought and sold in groups of 10. Before the update, however, nitros could be bought and sold individually.
Tips and Tricks
- Only use nitros on long or difficult to type words.
- Use them at the beginning for a head start, or at the end to rush past the other racers to achieve a higher place. Skillfully using nitros at the end of a race is referred to by players as "nitrolling".
- Nitros are commonly used on words with a string of numbers, such as GRB 080319B or 1958, or symbols that require the shift keys.
How to Obtain Nitros
You can obtain them in three ways. You may either purchase them at the dealership for the price of $2,000 per nitro, earn them by winning races (2nd place gives you 1 nitro, and 1st place gives you 2 nitros), or obtain them by opening mystery boxes.
You are able to use a nitro by pressing the "Enter" key on your keyboard.
You used to be able to use up to 3 nitros per race regardless of your speed. After an update in 2016, you are no longer able to use nitros if your average speed is under 10 WPM. If your average speed is 11-20 WPM, you can use 1 nitro per race. The average speed range of 21-30 WPM is only allotted 2 nitros per race, and anyone who types faster than 30 WPM on average can continue using 3 nitros per race.
- In 2011, there was a known glitch on the site, in which you can have negative nitros which add a word to the passage. Using these could damage your account. Obtaining more nitros erases how many negative nitros you have. For example, let's say you have negative 50 (-50) nitros, and you win first in a race and get two nitros (+2), you would then have negative 48 (-48) nitros (as -50 + 2 = -48). This glitch was later patched.
- Nitros used to run out from top to bottom, but this was later changed so that nitros run from bottom to top in the panel.
- Purchase 10 Nitros: $1,000
- Purchase 30 Nitros: $2,000
- Purchase 50 Nitros: $5,000
- Purchase 100 Nitros: Rand Rover R/T
- Use 10 Nitros: "Word Skipper"
- Use 50 Nitros: "[SKIPWRD]"
- Use 100 Nitros: "I Hate Words"
- Use 200 Nitros: "I Love Nitros"
- Use 400 Nitros: "Epic Word Skippage"
- Use 1000 Nitros: "Epic Nitro User"